Mary Congdon was better known in this area as Princess Red Wing. Although she did not reside in Richmond, she lived just across the border on the Exeter side of Arcadia Village. She founded the Tomaquag Museum in 1958, which continues to exist at Dovecrest in Arcadia. As a historian and member of the Narragansett Indian Tribe, she worked hard to maintain the tribal culture.
Princess Red Wing died in 1987 at the age of 92.
Amey R. (Reynolds) Payne, died March 1, 2017, at the age of 101. Additionally her mother was a Smith. We are fortunate to have her wedding announcement and photo from 1941. Her husband’s name in the announcement was spelled Paine, however all the spellings we have are Payne.
In 1982 John Quinn was one of the planning editors of USA Today. Before that he worked for many years at the Providence Journal Bulletin. We at the Historical Society knew John as a benefactor, especially during the time he served as deputy chairman and a trustee for the Freedom Forum. Although John did not live in Richmond, he was just across the line, on the Charlestown side of Carolina. He not only owned the remnants of the Carolina Mill, but also the Octagon House located in the Carolina section of Richmond.