Recreation

On October 13, 1939, seven friends and relatives formed the Meadow Brook Fish and Game Conservation Association for social and conservation purposes.  Other than the incorporation papers, and some correspondence with the State of Rhode Island, we have little knowledge of the activities of this group.

fish-and-game-club

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Also, in 1939, baseball fans in Shannock followed their local team, the Golden Guernseys:

Shannock Baseball Team

The date of this photo of the Shannock Team is unknown, but it appeared in 1944.

The Shannock Team

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A town beach was located in the Wood River Junction part of Town at Meadow Brook Pond.  A life guard was also provided for the safety of the swimmers.

richmond-town-beach-196919701971

In 1974, after complaints of problems after hours at the beach, an ordinance was written restricting the hours of use:

Curfew 1974

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Richmond presently has five golf courses within it’s boundaries.   In 1969, a resourceful robin brought things to a halt at Meadowbrook Golf Course in Wyoming:

and-the-robin-wins

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Car racing has been an issue in Richmond on a couple of occasions, but it never went beyond preliminary stages.

Race Track 1961

Dragway 1996

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Throughout the years some things never change, like a young boy building a snow fort.

Building a snow fort

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The first ladies billiards tournament:

Billiards

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

There is a dirt road, more like a byway, that runs between Route 3 (Nooseneck Hill Road) and KG Ranch Road, in the Wyoming portion of Town.  The road runs through Rhode Island State land and is used by hikers, bikers and hunters.  This road was formerly Baker Pines Road, the extension of which still exists, a short way further north.  In 1972, this portion of the road was formally abandoned.  However,  some still brave the bumps and pot holes to take a short cut through the woods.

Old Baker Pines Road Abandonment 1972

Advertisements