Shannock

According to the Rhode Island Atlas in 1988, the word Shannock…is of Indian origin and means morning star or squirrel. 

As with many of our villages, a river running through the village is the boundary between Richmond and, in this case, the Town of Charlestown.  Mills once dominated the economy in the village.  The railroad tracks are also nearby.  Once the mills closed, it  wasn’t soon after the trains ceased stopping in Shannock:

Shannock Railroad

a-tale-of-two-bridges

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Our original question concerning the Bentley farm appeared in the “Can You Help” area of our website.  It asked: “Who were the Bentley’s and what happened to their farm.”

The question was asked because of a newspaper clipping from 1979 showing a picture of an old barn and some out buildings.  It was identified as the Bentley property on North Road in the village of Shannock:

Bentley Farm, Shannock

We received the following response, which not only provides genealogical, but also historical information:

“The Bentleys who lived on the Bentley Farm in Shannock were Harold L. (b. 1945), Mary L. (Rice) (b.1927), Howard F., Helen K., and Victoria R. They resided in the houses at 102, 104 and 108 North Road in Shannock. The house at 102 was built in 1930 and the others later. The farm was over 27 acres. Richmond Historical Cemetery #32, containing 94 bodies, lies within a field on the Bentley Farm, about 500 feet east of North Shannock Road.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXIn 1971, the Charlestown-Richmond Volunteer Fire Department station was located within the Village of Shannock.  New trucks, then and now, are  an important addition to any department:

Charlestown - Richmond Fire Department

 

 

 

 

Advertisements