Education in Richmond began in front parlors of local homes. One room school houses were built. These were also used for prayer on Sunday and community meetings and events. Sixteen school districts were formed. In 1934, the one-room school houses were replaced when Richmond Elementary School opened and they were consolidated under one roof. In 1968, as more families moved into the area, necessary expansion of the Richmond Elementary School occurred:
High school education, before 1960, was continued at either South Kingstown High School or Westerly High School. In 1960 a regional Junior-Senior High School was built within the Town of Richmond to educate, not only students from that Town, but also the neighboring towns of Charlestown and Hopkinton.