CHarlestown, RIchmond, and HOpkinton in 1960 finally had a their own Junior and Senior High School. We are fortunate to have in collection a narrative, with photos, showing the progression of the actual building of the school. It spans the years 1959-1960, from clearing the site to completion of the project.
In 1962, they adopted a nickname, The Chargers, and a mascot:
In 1972, a vocational program was added to meet the needs of the community:
In 1973, the Towns decided to formally regionalize in order to meet the expanding needs at the elementary level:
Additionally, to improve reading skills at the elementary level, a group of volunteers launched the Chariho RIF (Reading is Fundamental) program:
By the 1980’s the Towns had outgrown the Junior-Senior High School and double sessions were in place. Once again there was a proposal for further expansion of the buildings:
In 1986, double sessions because of overcrowding, along with the awareness of the need for laboratories and other facilities, once again brought to the voters the question of building a middle school:
Buildings continued to be added and presently the campus contains a senior high school, junior high school, vocational school, and administration offices for the superintendent and staff. An additional building to house the special needs program is in the process of being added.
In 1989, students who were in the gifted and talented program purchased a “Peace Pole”, which they dedicated at the Richmond School: